It’s the holidays. Lets talk about Christmas tree safety and how to keep your holiday plans from going up in smoke.
To raise awareness please take a moment to review this facts about holiday home fires.
Facts about home holiday fires
- One of every four home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
- Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious. On average, one of every 32 reported home Christmas tree fires results in a death compared to an average of one death per 143 total reported home fires.
- A heat source too close to the tree causes one in every four Christmas tree fires.
- The top three days for home candle fires are Christmas, New Year’s Day, and Christmas Eve.
- Candles start two out of five home decoration structure fires.
Source: National Fire Protection Association
Here are some tips to keeping your home and your tree safe this holiday:
- Natural trees should be cut at a 45 degree angle at the base and place in water.
- Place tree away from sources of heat.
- Use non-flammable decorations.
- Inspect lighting for frayed wires and other defects before use.
- Do not leave lights on unattended.
- Keep natural tree stands filled with water at all times.
- Promptly discard tree when it becomes dry.
For more information please visit: https://www.usfa.fema.gov/